The stoic philosopher Marcus Tullius Cicero was one of Rome’s greatest orators and had an immense influence on the Latin language.
Some of my favorite translated Cicero quotes:
- If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
- Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief.
- Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
- Silence is one of the great arts of conversation.
- Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body.
- Love is the attempt to form a friendship inspired by beauty.