Phil • Cr. Think • Science • Hist • …
TST PRACTICE

By Philosopher Michael Alan Prestwood

“Where ignorance is bliss, ’tis folly to be wise.”
☐ Listened
☑ Listened
You’ve listened to this 0 times.
You’ve read this 0 times.
~ < 1 of audio

“Where ignorance is bliss, ’tis folly to be wise.”

Since I was a child, I have been exploring the dichotomy between ignorance and knowledge. I remember people saying things like, “I like hot dogs, but no one wants to see how they’re made.” When I found out, I was like, yeah, who wants to know that!

In 2000, when The Matrix movie came out, the phrase “Ignorance is bliss” became common parlance. The topic is covered particularly well through the character Cypher. He betrays his crew in exchange for the return to the illusion of the Matrix. He knows the truth but prefers the comforting deception.

In researching 30 Philosophers, I dug into its origins. Turns out it came from the 18th-century English poet Thomas Gray. His version was: “Where ignorance is bliss, ’tis folly to be wise.” Here, he is reflecting on the carefree days of youth compared to the troubles of the adult world.

I explore that dichotomy in my writing. You see the illusions of reality in Eastern philosophies. Hinduism and Buddhism call it maya, a veil of deception hiding the true nature of existence. In the West, Socrates was an early skeptic, questioning everything. His student Plato’s famous allegory of the cave is the story of how prisoners mistake shadows on a wall for reality.

The central question revolves around whether wisdom brings suffering or meaning. In 30 Philosophers, I argue that this dichotomy is a must-part of everyone’s worldview. I use the example of germaphobes and the fact that a certain amount of ignorance leads to a better life. In contrast, throughout the book, I also talk about how the illusions of life are just fine if you’re happy, but if you’re not, removing some can help you live a happier life.

Premium content addition.

Wisdom is not the removal of every illusion. It is knowing which truths help you flourish, and which details only feed fear, obsession, or paralysis.
Subject: Ignorance.
Truth matters, but not every truth needs your full attention. A germophobe needs good hygiene, not obsessive knowledge of every microbe on every surface. Strive to remove illusions that trap you, but also allow yourself peaceful ignorance when more information does not improve life. Wisdom is calibrated knowing. Turn off the news when you start to feel depressed or angry.

Flashcard.

What guides more than directs in TST Ethics?.
Answer. Group ethics..


That Social Constructs Quote, 

was first published on TST 2 years ago.
This quote is part of the broader TST project.
When a source is corrected, refined, or expanded, the supporting tidbit can be updated directly, helping the larger project stay accurate over time.

The end!

Scroll to Top